Google, through the Google News Initiative, is taking the lead in backing the project and has committed $1.2 million. Other funders include The Lenfest Institute for Journalism, which is contributing $400,000; ConsenSys, the venture studio backing Civil Media, which is contributing $350,000; and The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, which is contributing $250,000. An additional $200,000 from a fifth source is expected to be contributed toward the project later this month.WordPress.com Blog
Newspack has invited both small and medium-sized news organizations to become chartered participants.
Prospective applicants should meet the meet a few requirements before being considered such as :
- Organizations which use a variety of organizational models, technologies and business approaches along with audiences and geographies.
- Demonstrate editorial and financial success in their markets or in a startups case has a strong launch plan.
- Currently Uses WordPress which makes for easy migration based on Automattic’s experience.
- Have a clear editorial and business approach for the development and growth of their site.
- Their website is designed for news and information needs of a distinct geographic region or distinct subject area of coverage.
- create original content and not content aggregation.
- Has a track record of serving intended audiences and a budget which forecasts 12 months of operations.
- Has a launch plan that addresses intent to serve their target market and funding commitment for at least 12 months.
- commit to participating in a bi-weekly video call. There should also be staff available to assist with the migration of their site to the
- A commitment to migrating to the
Newspackplatform at the conclusion of the initial 6 month development period.
Applications for chartered participation are due by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (UTC -5:00) on February 1.
The Development of Newspack is fully funded by Automattic for its development period (January 2020). Participants/Organizations will be charged between $1000 or $2000 per month after this development period.
We look forward to viewing the results at thier beta launch scheduled for August 2019.
So what are your thoughts on Newspack? Share your thoughts below in our comments section.
© 2019, Lance Cameron. All Rights Reserved