Google just announced the addition of a new Top Level Domain (TLD) for ”
Businesses to launch a new website, publishers sharing new works online, authors telling their stories, or students touting their research”.
A TLD is the last part of a domain name, like .com in “www.google.com”. There have been many new TLD’s launched the past such as .top, .loan, .club, .online, .xyz and many others.
Who/What People/Brands uses .page Domains?
Google Listed the following ten domains of prime uses cases for the .page domain:
- Ellen.Page is the website of Academy Award®-nominated actress and producer Ellen Page that will spotlight LGBTQ culture and social causes.
- Home.Page is a project by the digital media artist Aaron Koblin, who is creating a living collection of hand-drawn houses from people across the world. Enjoy free art daily and help bring real people home by supporting revolving bail.
- ChristophNiemann.Page is the virtual exhibition space of illustrator, graphic designer, and author Christoph Niemann.
- Web.Page is a collaboration between a group of designers and developers who will offer a monthly online magazine with design techniques, strategies, and inspiration.
- CareersXO.Page by Geek Girl Careers is a personality assessment designed to help women find tech careers they love.
- TurnThe.Page by Insurance Lounge offers advice about the transition from career to retirement.
- WordAsImage.Page is a project by designer Ji Lee that explores the visualizations of words through typography.
- Membrane.Page by Synder Filtration is an educational website about spiral-wound nanofiltration, ultrafiltration, and microfiltration membrane elements and systems.
- TV.Page is a SaaS company that provides shoppable video technology for ecommerce, social media, and retail stores.
- Navlekha.Page was created by Navlekhā, a Google initiative that helps Indian publishers get their content online with free authoring tools, guidance, and a .page domain for the first 3 years. Since the initiative debuted at Google for India, publishers are creating articles within minutes. And Navlekhā plans to bring 135,000 publishers online over the next 5 years.
The Extension will be made available in three stages, The Sunrise, Early Access, and General Availability stages.
During the sunrise phase, trademark owner’s who have submitted to the Trademark Clearinghouse will be able to register their domains.
The Next phase, The Early Access phase will be open to anyone who wants to acquire a .page domain very early before it is made available to everyone in the General Availability stage at much lower rates.
Sunrise runs during August 27, 2018 – October 2, 2018, Early access runs October 2, 2018 – October 9,
So what do you think about this new .page TLD? Would you purchase one?