Amazon is the 5th largest company in the world in terms of revenue. It had revenues in excess of $233 billion US dollars with no sign of slowing down. Amazon Web Services, also known as AWS, raked in $10 Billion last year. As such, AWS is a very important part of Amazon.
It’s very important for businesses to reduce their AWS costs. Many businesses spend thousands of dollars per month in AWS, so reducing this amount even by a small percentage can provide great savings for any company.
Here are a few tips for saving money on AWS:
- Use discounts. AWS will often provide coupon codes for new businesses. For example, if you attend an AWS event, they will often provide $150 and $100 AWS codes.
- Track AWS usage. When you keep track of your usage, you can figure out new ways to reduce costs. For example, one day I realized that I was spending a hundred dollars per month on Amazon S3 that I was unaware of. It turns out that I had a large file on S3 which a lot of people were downloading it. Keeping track of my expenses helped me remove this file and save hundreds of dollars.
- Use regions wisely. Some AWS regions are cheaper than others. Test the regions that work best for you. Do note that some regions are slower, but if speed is not important for you, you might want to try a slower region.
- Consolidate all your bills. Instead of having many accounts, try to have just one single larger account. This has many benefits, as AWS often gives you a different price based on volume.
- Choose which service is best for you. Amazon has released dozens of AWS services, and many of them are similar in what they can do for you. Fully understand your options and choose the service that is the best fit for what you’re trying to do.
By applying these 5 simple tips, you’ll cut your AWS costs greatly.
© 2019, GTecheek Staff. All Rights Reserved